3.08.2006

Calming the Storm

Question of the week: What do you do when your 3-week old son is crying hysterically because of gas pains? How do you calm him when you've tried everything you know of to get rid of the gas? How do you remain cool, calm and collected when you're working on two hours of sleep in the past 24 hours?

OK, so that's more than one question. But I'm allowed. Seriously, the infant I have seen for the past couple days is not the same calm and content baby we brought home from the hospital. Last night was misery. The poor guy couldn't sleep for long periods of time without being woken by his little tummy hurting. The thought has crossed my mind several times: does he have food allergies like me? I know when my stomach hurts from eating the wrong foods, I want to cry. Just think of a little tiny baby having the same stomach cramps from his mommy eating the wrong foods! I've read and heard that researchers are saying that the foods I eat won't affect him as much as they once thought they would. But now I wonder if they weren't right in the first place. I've tried different burping holds, rotating his legs bicycle-style, warm water bottles, laying him on his tummy, laying him on his side, laying him on his back. I've even been giving him simethicone drops that my friend said worked wonders for her. To be precise, it "saved their lives." They seem to work better than when I don't use them. But even then, he has woken up, cried until it passed, then fallen back asleep. My heart really aches for him. All I can do is just hold him, cry for him, and pray. I'm taking him to the doctor today. Perhaps they will be able to give me some sort of advice and/or insight into the situation.

Prayers from you guys will be heard. If Christ can calm a storm by speaking to it, then He can calm the storm in Elias' body -- and keep me calm in the eye of it. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm lifting you both up, Geniene. It is so hard to see your child hurt and feel unable to bring relief. Let us know how the apt. goes. autumn

nmacha said...

Leah was a colic baby (she is 26 now) Dan and I did a lot of walking and singing to Leah. It is a hard time when they have gas pains. Geniene are you nursing? If you are you need to watch out what you eat. Leah didnt handle tomato stuff at all. Praying. and Congratulations. He is a keeper.

DRSimrak said...

Nancy, I'm so glad you're reading our blog! The doctors are saying that it largely doesn't matter what I eat. However they did say that dairy products may contribute to gas and colic. I'm beginning to think that the foods I eat DOES play a hand in his discomfort. So thanks for the advice. I will watch what I eat to see how it affects him.