2.20.2007

Getting Away


A year and a half ago, Dan and I went to Huntington Mills for a get-away before I got too "heavy with child" to do anything sexy. We had been through a lot that summer/fall and it was high time we got away. We had a wonderful weekend. A couple months later, we moved to Bucks County. A couple months after that, I was put on bedrest. A couple months after that, Elias was born. A year later and Dan's job is changing. We decided it was time for another get-away.

Dan's parents generously gave us money for Christmas to put towards a get-away. We had been saving all our change in a wine box for the past year and consequently saved over a hundred dollars. We cashed that in and booked a room at the Glasbern Inn.

Glasbern Inn is a functioning organic farm that uses it's produce, herbs, meat and flowers for the benefit of the bed and breakfast and restaurant. The food was sensational. There wasn't anything we didn't like. The room was about as big as our apartment. We enjoyed the conveniences of a gas fireplace, a whirlpool, entertainment center and king-sized bed. The view out the window was breathtaking: snow-covered hills, a frozen pond, cattle. No traffic noises. In fact, we were miles from the busy roads. It was less than an hour away, but it felt like we were hundreds of miles away. Everyone treated us like royalty. It was great.

But that's all secondary. Dan and I were able to slow down, breath slowly, relax, and talk. We were able to connect in a way we haven't been able to in a while. Not that we haven't been close or things haven't been good with us. They have. But the busyness of life hasn't allowed the slow-paced conversational relaxation that we so desperately needed. We needed to connect on a deeper level than we've had time for without distraction.

RB and Julia Pray were kind enough to stay in our home with Eli while we were gone. I came home to find him eating; apparently, a past time that he grew quite fond of while we were gone. There was no food in the house. Everything I had prepared for them had been eaten. He's going through a growth spurt. As RB said, "he'll be 4'3" by the time he's done with this growth spurt."

I encourage all my friends with busy lives and/or little ones, to make the effort to get out with your husbands frequently. If you can, stay overnight somewhere and talk about the things that hinder your relationship. Ask how you can be better wives. Pray together. Connect.

No comments: