A window is a beautiful thing. Over the years, companies have perfected them so that they come in a variety of styles to appease the eye or make cleaning them more convenient and less of a task. There are many types of windows. In the poetic world, a window is a means to see the soul. In the world of literature, the window is a symbol of what keeps a lonely girl hidden from the outside world. Anne Shirley's one and only friend, Katie, was her reflection who came and went as she passed by windows. To Stephen King, on the other hand, a small window kept secrets. I imagine that in heaven when we are living in mansions of gold, large walls of beautiful windows will shine through the glory of our Lord Jesus. There will never be dark corners that the Light streaming through these windows won't find.
But today, I want to share a "perk" of living in our particular condo unit. Our windows are semi-old. They are the original windows that were put on the buildings when they were first built about 16 or so years ago. Now, to me, that really doesn't sound that old. It's more the fact that they chose cheap windows...16 years ago. The storm windows are built in on the inside making for a charming effect on our Living Room decor (not to mention my bending or breaking nails everytime I want to slide them up or down). Despite the fact that the are heavy, they are quite drafty. The molding that gives the illusion that there are six window panels instead of one large window is peeling and warping. The screens don't come out, and besides that they, too, are warped to allow for many many infestations of bugs into the dwelling place during those nice summer nights when the windows ought to be left open. Due to this feature, our place often smells faint of bug spray instead of the clean outside air in our attempt to air out the apartment. Foam stuffed in the cracks only adds to the charm. During the winter months, these drafty windows ICE OVER as a natural effect from the condensation build-up behind the blinds and curtains. It makes for a cozy environment when one is doing his/her best to keep the place warm for their family.
Here, I have taken a picture of the ice I scraped off the window the other day after prying open the blinds.
I'm sorry that I didn't have a more pleasant window story. Perhaps if I was a novelist, I would write some sad story of how I like to look out my window at the birds perched on the tree branches and how I wished I could fly away with them. But alas, my fate is to be human, permanently fixed to the earth until the Day of our Lord. But that is not a sad story. I am content to be such. It has pleased my Lord to pour out blessings on His child. I have a wonderful husband who loves me and provides for his family and a beautiful happy son who is my pride and joy. What need I more?!
Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord God of hosts;
let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel...
But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD.
At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
~Psalm 69:6, 13
let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel...
But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD.
At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
~Psalm 69:6, 13
No comments:
Post a Comment