10.09.2008

Silly Eli


Eli has been hysterical of late when it comes to the things he says. His attitude is just plain silly and he uses phrases that are far beyond a two-year old's comprehension - or so you'd think. Two-year- olds are sponges and can absorb far more than we realize.

Yesterday, while we were in the car, he was asking about birds and where they were flying. I told him that when it starts to get cold, birds fly south for the winter to keep warm and so they can find food. Then when it starts to get warm again, they come back. When I was done explaining this, there was a pause, then,

"Mommy, I'm not really sure what you're talking about."

Well, of course, I just laughed. And practically the rest of the trip was me trying to explain something to him, like being careful of what we say and who we say it to/being respectful of adults and not necessarily talking to them the same way they talk to children. There's a 27-year difference between us.... etc etc. And his response was usually something funny. But he eventually got it and followed my reproof with "Yes, Mommy."

Earlier in the day, I heard him telling Gabe that playing with the swivel sweeper "is not a option."

And when Gabe would bang things loudly, he would say to him, "Stop, Gabe. That's unkind."

He brings such joy to our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Elias is so great:) I can hear him saying exactly those things. Love the swivel sweeper comment he made to Gabe. I can't wait to see him! I'm glad he and Aiden are getting along!